Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ranting About Chekhov's Minute Particulars

I can't argue that Chekhov has the ability to describe nature in that rare way that enables you to picture his thoughts when you close your eyes. However, in continuing with my opinion of Gurov, I don't think Chekhov convinces the reader of his protaganist's epiphany in "The Lady with the Pet Dog." This character meets another woman (with whom he is irritated) and magically falls in love with her? It is true that the idea of forbidden love is wildly romantic, but after a few walks in the park and rolls in the hay, I would hardly consider this a tragic love story. Everyone reaches a breaking point in a miserable marriage. This was just Gurov's. He was unhappily married and it was only a matter of time before he aquired the misconceived notion that he was in love. He had to believe he loved her. It was the needed distraction from the stark realities of his pathetic existence. So there.

3 comments:

Alyson said...

Becca,

I have to say, yet again, that you are determined to dislike this guy! However, I agree with you. Sure, it's fiction... but even fictional characters don't fall in love that quickly. Not believably. That's what makes Harlequin so cheesy.

Amanda said...

I think it's a sign of a great work that you hate this character so much. The author really put in enough work to make you hate this character this badly. Whether that was the intent or not is not known. But the extent of your passion against a fictional character is what makes me believe that the author did his job well.

Alyson said...

Amanda,

You make a really good point here. It's something I hadn't thought of myself.